Thursday, September 08, 2005

I was wondering....

Hey -
Now, I know in Florida you can't turn around near the water ways without running into alligators or crocs, or whatever.
SO, what crossed my mind this morning while I was 1/2 awake waiting for the alarm to go off was - are there any predators of that nature in Louisiana or Mississippi????
I can sort of image that they might not want to go near New Orleans because the water is so disgusting and even animals have more sense than we do in those situations. But what about the other regions? I know a lot of the water has subsided back to the gulf, but what is left?

I know, couldn't I be thinking of something more constructive? I heard an interesting report on NPR about the Live Oaks in New Orleans and the surrounding area. They have a society and all the oaks have names. It seems unfortunate that many will not survive the water - mostly due to the polutions they are guessing. Of course I also heard the story about how New Orleans is sinking. Hmmm Not much of a surprise there.

Well, off to deal with the aftermath of the power going on and off in the school building yesterday. We have a meeting at 7:30. Oh there she goes on the P.A. Later
Tam

1 comment:

Her Royal Highness, Queen of Drama said...

Yup in terms of animals that will kill you, LA, AL and MS are filled with them. In terms of reptiles, they all have water moccasins, rattlesnakes alligators. They also are overrun by Nutria--giant, swimming water rats-- that will eat anything...wood, dead bodies, and even small live animals. They also have bugs like you wouldn’t believe. Remember, the low-lying regions of our country were prone to yellow-fever outbreaks due to the mosquitoes. Finally, there are going to be phenomenal micro-organisms. E-coli, tetanus, and hepatitis are already surfacing as problems, due to the variety of contaminates in the flood waters. Cholera and typhus are also disease organisms that bloom in warm stagnate water.

Cheerful stuff huh?